The 80/20 rule or how to lose weight while having fun

The 80/20 rule or how to lose weight while having fun

What is the principle of the 80/20 rule? How to apply it daily? What are its advantages and disadvantages? Does it really help to lose weight? Here’s everything you need to know about the 80/20 diet.

Presenting itself more as a food rebalancing than a restrictive diet, the 80/20 rule helps to lose weight without frustration and with a notion of pleasure.

What is the 80/20 principle?

The principle of the 80/20 rule is very simple since it recommends eating healthy 80% of the time and having fun the remaining 20%. Considered as a food rebalancing and not a diet, this rule helps to lose weight, without restrictions or frustration. Thus, the weight loss is effective, without yoyo effect very common with conventional diets. The primary goal of the 80/20 rule is to get back to good eating habits.

This program includes 80% balanced menus composed of nutrients essential to the proper functioning of the body. It is therefore recommended to eat fruits and vegetables, legumes, whole grains, fish, poultry, vegetable proteins and good fats. No food is forbidden : the important thing is to provide proteins, carbohydrates and lipids to the body, without excess fat or sugar.

© sudowoodo

During two meals a week, it is possible to have fun while forgetting the notion of food balance. Everything is allowed: fat, sweets, alcohol, etc However, it is essential not to go overboard and burn yourself, thus nullifying the benefits of the 80/20 rule. The goal is to eat foods that make you happy in reasonable proportions to avoid gaining weight during these “cheat meals”.

For the 80% of the rule, it is possible to vary the foods to eat healthy without getting tired. here is a sample menu :

  • Breakfast: unsweetened tea, a handful of dried fruits, a bowl of oatmeal with milk and a piece of fruit.
  • Lunch: steamed fish, brown rice, vegetables (green beans, broccoli, carrots, etc.) and a fruit for dessert.
  • Dinner: quinoa, vegetables, plain yogurt or a square of dark chocolate for dessert.

During the remaining 20%, all pleasures are allowed. During two meals in the week, it is possible to eat a croissant for breakfast, a hamburger for lunch, a brownie for a snack or even a pizza for dinner. All while respecting reasonable proportions.

Can we do sports?

Because the 80/20 rule is mainly aimed at rebalancing food, it will not cause you to lose weight drastically. If you want to adapt this program to combine healthy eating with effective weight loss, it is important to engage in physical activity in addition. The most athletic can do two intensive sports sessions each week, with cardio and muscle strengthening exercises. Thus, the body will burn more calories than it consumes, thus allowing weight loss. The less athletic can turn to gentle sports (yoga, pilates) and walking sessions. The main thing is to move the body, to tone it and guarantee a reduced or stabilized weight according to your desires.